Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Last Name Game

"Why should I be wasting my time with someone I don't like just because they have the same last name as me?" "No other animal keeps a relationship with its parents after its been raised. It's not natural."
Those are the two quotations that stuck out to me the most. But really I resonate with the whole of both of these quotations. Both of these men said the same things using two different arguments and I couldn't agree more with both of them. 

You see, my parents are unreasonable human beings and sometimes…sometimes I forget that, sometimes I forget that my parents are the kind of people who should not be allowed to raise children. But don't worry, they never fail to remind me.

"But…you have a car! And a big house! You have a hot tub, and a walk in closet. You have the phone you want, the clothes you want, the laptop you want, you get to go wherever you want, you have the perfect life!" Do you know how many times and from how many people I've heard this? Okay, yes, I'll give my parents credit for being very financially capable of looking after children. That's the one thing they have going for them. And you know what? Money DOES buy happiness. Because those are the times when I forget that my parents are awful people, when they buy me things. And for a while…I almost like them, because who wouldn't like someone that just bought them an iPhone 5s? So even though money can buy happiness, it's temporary happiness. Because as much as I love my phone, and as happy as my phone makes me, I still hate my parents, they still make me very upset. 

They like to bring me down. It's their absolute favourite thing to do. To criticize me, to laugh at my hopes and dreams and goals. And even though I shouldn't even care about their opinions, because I know they are horrible excuses for parents, it still hurts. It hurts to have someone literally laugh in your face and sarcastically say "oh sure you can."

I think the thing that bothers me most about my parents is that they think I'm awful. They thing I'm a bad kid or something. Which is completely and utterly ridiculous. I've had a 90% average or higher for my entire school career. I'm involved in so many extracurricular activities and I volunteer at multiple places. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't date, and I don't party. They literally could not have asked for a better child. And it infuriates me so much that they have this idea that I could be so much better. I just don't understand what more they want from me.

And for the longest time, I put up with it. I didn't drink, I didn't do drugs, I didn't date, and I didn't party. But…then it got to me. Because, they think I'm this horrible bad kid who doesn't listen so why shouldn't I be the kid they think I am? Why should I work so hard to be good if they're always going to think I'm bad? And…the answer to that was always my future. If I don't get good grades, if I don't get into a good university, if I don't get a well-paying job then… I can never escape them. Because that's my ultimate goal, to be the opposite of what is now normal and go back to the way animals do it, to do what these two men are saying in these pictures. 

But then I realized that I can do that even if I have a little sip of a cooler at a party with my boyfriend. Maybe I'll pass on the blunt because I still do have standards but hey it's nice to be a little wild and anyways maybe now my parents will think I'm good if they thought I was bad before. 


No comments:

Post a Comment